Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sparkly Doll Shoe Makeover (Tutorial)

What is up with me and the glitter?? I just can't stay away from it. I bought a plain set of doll shoes from the craft store and decided to give them a makeover...with glitter! Begin with a plain pair of doll shoes (or girls shoes...I think that would work nicely too). You will also need glitter, glue, a paint brush and modge podge.


Remove any embellishments that will get in the way of glittering.

Stuff shoes with a little something to keep them from collapsing while you are working with them. (I just used a cellophane candy package)


Generously coat shoes with glue, using a paint brush. Craft glue is what I used, but Elmer's glue would probably work also.

Optional Step: Go check on the cookies you have in the oven, and come back to find your baby has found and spilled an entire tube of glitter. Sparkles, anyone?


Over a sheet of scrap paper, sprinkle a generous amount of glitter over wet glue. Gently tap shoes to remove excess glitter, and use a dry brush to remove glitter from soles.


When the glue/glitter is completely dry, coat with a generous layer of modge podge.


When modge podge is dry, reapply embellishments. (I used E6000 glue) The modge podge does such a good job that when I rubbed my finger across the shoes there was no glitter rubbing off. If you try this on girls shoes, I would do a second layer just for added durability.

3 comments:

Phillip and Rachel said...

I really like how those turned out. Now if I am ever Dorothy for Halloween I know how to sparkle up my pumps!

Trish D said...

I must say, the little feet are the best part :) But seriously, super cute shoes!

Shari said...

Those are really cute shoes. Where did you find them?