Thursday, November 4, 2010

More Christmas Presents: A (Not-So) Riveting Tale of Planning Way Ahead


Long ago, in a land far away (California to be exact) I was a teenage girl who couldn't get enough of sewing. I would spend hours in my room churning out all sorts of sewing projects. Back then, my siblings (won't mention any names..........) used to tease me mercilessly about sewing. They thought I was such a dork for my sewing habit. My, how things have changed. (Again, won't mention any names...;) So back then I would practice on anything I could get my hands on. I sewed a lot of doll clothes because they didn't use much fabric and I figured I could save them for 'someday.' Also, I think I was trying to fill some sort of American Girl Doll sized hole in my heart. Well, the doll of my dreams still hasn't shown up on my doorstep, so I went to the craft store and bought a cheaper knock-off for Katie for Christmas. I have resurected the doll clothes of my youth, and plan to add outfits between now and Christmas. The lavender skirt is one I made recently. The lace part is the edging from a set of linens. The doll dresses of yore are made from various vintage fabrics I happily inherited from a really sweet old lady from our church, Daisey Harrel. Like the vintage labels? I used to cut them out of vintage clothes and sew them into my stuff because I liked the way they looked. I would have never guessed way back them that someday I would be wrapping up those dresses and giving them to a sweet little blond daughter for Christmas. I hope she likes them.

4 comments:

Phillip and Rachel said...

My favorite is the red pola dot number! Speaking of American Girls, you still need to go to NYC to the flagship store at least to see it :)

Louise said...

just in love with this post ...sounds so like me but more creative as a young girl. love the labels idea. hey just fyi I wrote a blog last nite and put your link in it and on my blogs I follow..maybe you could drop by me place and take a peek i could use some tips/advice thanks keep up the awesome work...Maggielucia (Louise)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting! I am having trouble finding your blog. Would you mind leaving the address? Thanks

Shari said...

I hope your little girl will treasure such a special gift. Who knows - maybe it will prompt her to want to learn to sew.