Monday, May 16, 2011

Food

Since I haven't done a whole lot of sewing lately, I'll show you pictures of my latest 'project.' I got a whole passel of rhubarb, and after freezing a bunch of it, I got out my canner. So far, I have made Rhubarb BBQ Sauce, and Bluebarb Jam. Here is the recipe for Bluebarb Jam, using Pomona's Universal Pectin (you can use honey or sugar, and a lot less of it than commercial pectins)

Bluebarb Jam

4 C. blueberries
4 C. rhubarb
1/4 C. lemon juice
2 to 3 C. honey or sugar
5 tsp. pectin powder
4 tsp. calcium water

Cook rhubarb in a small amount of water till soft. Add blueberries, lemon juice and calcium water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. In the meantime, combine sweetener and pectin powder in a small bowl til thoroughly combined. When fruit comes to a boil, add sugar/pectin and stir vigorously for 1-2 minutes. Return to a boil and remove from heat. Pour into hot canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add lids and process in a boiling water canner, 5 minutes for half pints, 10 minutes for pints. (Recipe makes 9 half pints)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have not heard of the pectin you used or the water, did you find them at the health food store? It sounds really yummy. Where did you find a recipe for the barbecue sauce? that sound most interesting!