Monday, July 1, 2013

Child's Artwork Embroidered Tote Bag




My son had the best teacher for 1st grade this year. I wanted to do something special for her but time was limited and I was stumped. Then I thought of a project I've been wanting to try for a while: turning my kids' artwork into something useful and fun. Except my original idea involved hand embroidery. I decided to 'embroider' it instead on my machine, using the triple stretch stitch. The stretch part is unnecessary but I chose it because it is a wider, thicker stitch that would show up nicely. I stitched the birdcage part of the drawing on wool felt first, then cut the bird out and sewed it on. The whole patch is sewn onto the tote using my machine's blanket stitch. The tote is made of a pair of jeans, lined with some pretty cotton I've been holding on to for a while. His teacher was thrilled with it, and I must say I want to make one for myself now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is really nice. What a great idea!