Saturday, May 11, 2013

Chandelier Makeover!

Once upon a time, we bought a house. The house was 79% orange. Not the nice warm trendy orange you see these days. More like a hideous orange/gold/70's looking orange. Orange shag carpet, orange drapes and even 'harvest gold' appliances. There was also a flashy brass chandelier hanging in the dining room. Part of me cringed. I mean, it was a little over the top considering we live in a 1200 square foot house built with economy in mind. And with the orange everywhere, it looked downright gaudy. Yet at the same time, the chandelier was fascinating. I decided that after removing all orange vestiges, it would be awesome and it was. It was the kind of chandelier that people pay good money for at a vintage shop. But try convincing my husband of that. For the last 5 years he has despised the fixture and threatened its demise. Every now and then I would mention the possibility of painting it white, but the thought of removing every single crystal and cleaning all the little swirls and curls was enough to deter me. Recently I decided to just do it, and see how it turned out. I scrubbed it up as best I could and sprayed it with a zillion coats of some 'Heirloom White' spray paint that is supposed to stick to anything. The fake candlesticks on it were so old and brittle that the crumbled at the slightest touch. My husband made new ones out of PVC and I covered the with light yellow scrapbook paper. I am thrilled with how it turned out and even my husband thinks it looks nice. Woo!!


P.S. Who takes an entire paragraph to write about a stinkin' chandelier?! Me apparently. And if you haven't had enough intrigue for one day, check out the picture below. As I was taking it, I realized that behind my nice sparkly chandelier I have an old 'Lay or Bust Poultry Feed' sign and a 'Hippies Use Side Door' sign hanging up. Classy!


No comments: