Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Tunic of Mass Frustration


So...the tunic. I see cute renditions of them around the web and I had big dreams for making one of my own. The problem is that they don't have a whole lot of shape. Translation: they can end up looking like a tent. I used a very basic tunic pattern to start, and then went from there. I made several tweaks to it and redrafted the facing pieces into one piece and made it an exterior facing. The sleeves were also a funky length, which I shortened and added the contrasting band. The white is this really pretty eyelet I got on fabric.com and the navy blue is from a bed sheet (!) When I completed the top, it fit well in the shoulders but it hung like a tent. I ended up adding diamond darts in the back and that helped, but the front is still a little poofy. I am debating adding darts in front, but then I would have to add a side zipper, and as it is the fabric wrinkles fast I don't know if its really worth it. I think I might make it again in a fabric that has a nice drape and it would be more successful. Thoughts, questions, concerns? Should I wear it or is it destined for the scrap pile??

1 comment:

Trish D said...

I think it can be saved with a brown belt (1-2 inches wide) and a necklace. Seriously, give it a whirl!